Wednesday 16 April 2008

Cendawan Masak Lemak Rempah

This is a special mushroom dish I got from my mom, which she got from hers & hers got from hers... What special about this dish is the rempah (spice) used. Ketumbar (Coriander), JintanPutih (Cumin Seeds) & Jintan Manis (Aniseeds) all fried together without fat until almost crisp. Let cool & grind. This is also the special spices my grandmother uses to prepare her rendang. Another authentic Malay dish.



For this recipe, get sliced shallots, garlics, pounded lemon grass & chilly paste ready in a cooking pan.



Start slow fire & add in about a glass of diluted coconut milk. Keep stirring.


Let simmer & once almost boiled add in the remaining a box of coconut milk. Do not stop stirring.



Put two tablespoon of the spice prepared earlier.



Add a pinch or two of turmeric powder.



Next is the fresh oyster mushroom in the pan.



Keep stirring for a minute or two. Add salt to taste & your mushroom is ready.



Give it a try.

2 comments:

Lee said...

Hello Jabishah, Holy Smoke! My first time masuk your this page and you make me drool.
Even though I have difficulty pronouncing the name of this dish let alone spell it...I would have sworn if I didn't know its a dish, would have thought an Italian Soprano, ha ha...but your this dish is so tantalisingly exotic and delicious I bet.
You still have some left over? I datang boleh?
Ahhh, *wink* you have 4 daughters? Ha ha ha, just kidding.
Hold that lovely smile, Jabishah and happy cooking, Lee.

jabishah said...

Hi Uncle Lee,
Frankly I really don't know what to call it. Simply gave that name to this dish. My mom calls it "masak Cendawan". BTW "cendawan" is mushroom...
Even I sometimes drool over the pics here. Somehow they look better photographed than they are on my dining table. Taste wise... mestilah superb! Hahaha...
Sorry no leftover. But I can cook for you anytime. Bila nak datang?
Whenever you're hungry, feel free to visit my kitchen. Take care now.